Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Wed Update

Tara has been moved to a new room (464) as of yesterday. She was running a fever earlier today, but appears to have beaten it tonight. Kevin, CJ, Karen (CJ's sister) and Aimee and Evan were here most of the day today, having relieved my parents who stayed last night. I'm currently here by myself to stay the night. I have a wireless card connected to my laptop, that allows me to still post these even while I'm in the hospital. As I mentioned, we are all taking turns, to ensure Tara has someone with her 24x7 till she passes on.

I am really happy that CJ continues to bring Evan here to the hospital. I know she doesn't have much choice on whether to bring Evan, considering CJ's in from out-of-state and still breast feeding, but I appreciate it nonetheless. He's such a happy baby, and I just love carrying him around and letting him jump and move his legs. It's a nice distraction to see someone starting their new life whilst we deal with losing someone. CJ's obviously raising him right if Evan is this happy all the time!

Aimee and CJ were good enough to bring Tara's favorite book, Ender's Game, to read. They read to Tara this afternoon, and I continued this evening. So far I've made it to page 99. Tara introduced me to this book, and the subsequent series, and I've loved it ever since. I learned today from Aimee that Tara even convinced her teacher back in Junior High to make this one of the class selected books for reading that year.

What's most depressing at this point is that Tara's facial bruising and black eye's have started to heal so well that she is beginning to look almost normal. It's depressing because now she just looks like she's asleep, and might wake up any minute--which isn't going to happen. It was easier to understand why she wouldn't awake, for some reason, when her injuries were more visually evident. It's still so hard to believe that she won't just come out of the coma and return to being the Tara we always knew and loved. However, MRI scans don't lie, and we all are just focused on making her last moments on earth as peaceful and filled with loved one's, friends, and companionship as possible. I even put a podcast of NPR (Tara's favorite radio station) on my iPod, and I'm going to let Tara listen to it tonight.

Thanks to everyone who has been helping out lately at the hospital, including CJ, Karen (CJ's sister), Aimee, Kevin, uncle Charles and aunt Loretta, and of course...my mom and dad. I just know Tara appreciates everything everyone is doing for her. Of course, I also believe her spirit has already left her body and she's watching all these events unfold with her Grandma and Grandpa Devick, with her Uncle Don and Mary, Uncle Paul, Uncle Joe, sister Lara, Grandma and Grandpa Dirst, and many other relatives I haven't listed that have already passed on. I know she's in good company.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The strength you all are showing is such a tribute to Tara, and your love for her. The saddness of this ordeal is unimaginable.
I will continue my prayers for Tara, Kevin, Jim, Sandra, Eric, Kiera, and the others who love and care for Tara at this most difficult time.
God Bless.
sending you all my love,
Cousin Emily

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. My heart goes out to you and your family. I hope they find the bastard who caused this and make them pay. I believe in karma and they will suffer for what they have done.

Matt from Denver said...

Ah, Ender’s Game. Tara introduced me to the series too. I remember she even thought about naming her child Ender or Valentine back in our high school days. What a wonderful idea to read her that book.