Sunday, March 18, 2007

Sunday, March 18 Update

This is Kevin, Tara's husband. They did the MRI, and I am afraid that it only confirms what what was previously believed. We spoke with another doctor today, who went over the MRI with us and stated that there is damage to so many different areas to the brain, including the midbrain, that she does not believe that a recovery is possible, particularly a recovery that could result in a Tara anything like the Tara we knew. In addition, the barbituate is practically out of her system, and her responses are at no better a level than when she came in. The doctor believes that if Tara woke up, which is unlikely, she would be at an extremely low level of cognitive functioning. We know that Tara would not want this, and so, as Eric has said, we may have to let her go.
I literally do not have words to describe how I feel about this, and I am sure that all of you feel the same. However, the doctor stated that if she were in this condition, she would not want her family to keep her alive, and I strongly believe that Tara would feel the same.
We will have another discussion with Tara's primary doctor tomorrow, and will keep you posted. We all miss her.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kevin, this is Philips, a student employee at the NIU library. I work under Tara's supervision. This is a very difficult time for all of us, especially for you and Tara's immediate family. Tara is such a strong person. I believe she has that strong character because she is surrounded by people who also have strong character, like you. I know she wants us to be strong in facing the sad situation we are having now. I keep praying for her, you and your daughter. We all miss her.

philips vermonte

Unknown said...

I ope this doesn't come across as insensitive, but when you say "let her go", I'm assuming it means she's on some sort of life support and you are going to take her off of it, right? Would she pass instantaneously? I keep thinking of poor Terry Shaivo and how long it took her to pass away.

I can't believe this is happening, she was so nice to me when I was younger, she always treated me like a friend, not just Jen's little sister. She is a wonderful person and if it's been this hard for me, who didn't really know her that well, I can't even imagine the anguish you all are experiencing. I'm so sorry.

Helen (Hayden) Johnson

Anonymous said...

Well Helen, these have been the worst days of my life. -CJ

Anonymous said...

It's difficult to accept that a young wife and mother, one as vital and talented as Tara, can be taken so quickly, and so cruelly, from her loved ones.

My thoughts and all my prayers go out to Kevin and his entire family during this extremely difficult time.