Thursday, March 22, 2007

March 22 Thank You

This is Tara's husband, Kevin, again.
I just wanted to thank some of the many people who have been helping Kiera and me through this difficult time.
First of all are Tara's parents and my parents, who were helping watch Kiera before the accident, and have continued to do so even more since, despite the obvious additional pressure on them. In addition to watching Kiera and helping her continue to feel as normal as possible, both sets of grandparents have been helping me around the house with laundry, meals and other chores. I appreciate all of them tremendously.
Interim Dean Mary Munroe and all of the people at the NIU library who worked with Tara have also been tremendously supportive, and raised a great deal of money to help Kiera and me through this time. It has been very helpful with expenses of food and travel during this time. Thank you!
While on the subject of friends at the library, Mary Sheldon and Margie Cooke sent me a plate of snickerdoodles which did not last long and a huge platter of sandwiches which did not last much longer. Food is good!
My friends at Sauk Valley Community college have also been very supportive, particularly Patrick Kennedy, my dean, and Judy Happ, without whom he could do nothing. Patrick has arranged for people to take over my classes during this time that I am not available, and also took up a collection for Kiera and me. Thanks to all of the people who contributed. Also I would like to particularly thank Tom Gospodarczyk, Charles Atchley, Ken Youel, and Ernie Etter for covering my classes. Penny Duncan, thanks for checking in on me at St. Anthony's yesterday, and Bob, thanks for sending your concern.
Special thanks:
Jeff Ahrens - Thanks for coming down from Crystal Lake to visit with Leanne, Tara, and me. We appreciated your jokes even when they were terrible, and also my love to Jennie Versteeg.
Cason and Jennie Snow - Cason and Jennie have made it possible for both me and Lynne and Michael to visit Tara at the hospital by watching our respective children. I know that Kiera has been through a lot recently, and Jen and Cason already have a toddler, so this cannot have been easy. All of us appreciate their help. Also, they have continued to host our weekly social gatherings, and Jen has continued to feed us all at these. Thanks to both of you.
Steve and Karen Woodworth- Roman - They both have visited with Tara and I at the hospital, (as have everyone mentioned in this entry), and Steve and Karen brought me a box of food and necessities shortly after the accident. They have been supportive friends.
Leanne and Drew VanderCreek- Leanne and her husband Drew, who is Tara's boss, were the 1st people to learn about the accident, and drove me up to the hospital during the snowstorm on the terrible day of the accident. They stayed with me to learn the news about Tara, and were back to visit the next day and several times since. They have also kept me company during these past weeks, and it has helped. Leanne has helped me with shopping and bills, and both have helped me talk through difficult situations since. Leanne has also helped facilitate the processing of paperwork for Tara and me at the library.
Sarah and David McHone- Chase - Sarah and David have kept me company and had me over for dinner. Sarah has made us food (excellent Thai) and David has helped me with work on the computer. They are new friends to Tara and me, and very good ones.
Lynne and Michael Thomas - Lynne and Michael have not been my constant companions since the accident, but it has been close. They have kept me company and talked with me when I was blue (which has been often). Lynne has also helped with my shopping (ok, done my shopping) and has cooked for us on more than one occasion.
Michael has been my constant source of support throughout this whole ordeal, accepting up to 10 phone calls per day from me on issues that range form life-and-death to trivial. He has helped me organize my dealings with insurance companies, pay bills, and do nearly everything else. Most of all, Michael's experience with some of these issues has made him sometimes the one person that I felt I could talk to when making difficult decisions. Thank You.
I have received an unbelievable amount of support from everyone during this crisis, and I am sure to have overlooked some of you. Just know that I appreciate all of you, including those who have sent cards and e-mails of concern. You have made a difficult time easier.

No comments: