Friday, March 16, 2007

Friday 3-16 update

Today I have very bad news to report. The barbiturate drug was removed today, and her brain pressure and other signs appear to be maintaining levels that are acceptable. However, the other news is very grim. The swelling on the side of the brain where her primary injury occurs has not gone down like the Doctors expected. In addition, she still has swelling on her Cerebellum, and possibly a stroke. Lastly, the latest cat scans show alot of damage to the frontal lobes, and Doctors are very concerned there is damage to the mid-brain, which is not usually recoverable. To summarize, her brain is almost in just as bad of shape as it was after the accident. A second neurosurgeon is going to take a look tomorrow on Saturday, and give an update to all of us.

We are all afraid we may have to let Tara go, because she would not want to live with brain damage so severe that she had no hope of recovering. It's incredibly hard for me to write this post, but I think everyone needs to hear the reality of the situation. Tara prided herself on her intellectual capacity, whether it be arguing politics, her extensive knowledge of history, her musical talents, or the great intellectual discussions she had with Kevin, her friends, her co-workers, my dad, or myself. To not have these things would be to not have Tara. The thing we keep reminding ourselves is that we all have to be strong for Kiera, her 10 month old daughter. Tara is so proud of her daughter, for good reason, and I start crying every time I think of the two of them together...so happy, and such a proud mom! However, I have to remind myself that Tara would have wanted us to be strong for Kiera, and make sure she knows how happy and proud her mom was of her. I apologize but I can't write anymore ... but I do wish that Tara could have seen the outpouring of support/prayers from all of you reading this blog. I'm sure she would have been overwhelmed, as I and the rest of her family are.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please send more e-cards. Tell us a story about how Tara touched your life. We will read them to her throughout the day. Thank you. This is so hard. CJ

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Anyone who got to spend time with her is very lucky.I feel very down. Sadly, all I can do is to pray for strength to Kevin, her family, and us to cope with her loss.
Seda Kartal

Anonymous said...

The last time that I saw Tara and Kiera together was at the Jewel store. I spoke to them and Kiera smiled at me. Tara was happy with her daughter, leaned over, gave her a kiss and said "that's a good girl". It was a moment that I will always remember. I have had many fun conversations at lunch with Tara, a very lovely person.

Linda Groat